Thursday, September 15, 2011

Netflix freezing on Virtualbox? Try different DNS settings...

Looking for a way to run "Watch Instantly" on my linux box (since I hated having to reboot into Windows just to watch a show, I virtualized my Win 7 installation using vmware's standalone converter.  I was never able to try running this virtualized windows on vmware server, due I think to issues with 64 bit firefox not being able to install vmware's plugin - no worries, I created a virtualbox VM booting off of the converted virtual drive, et viola - I could watch Netflix... kinda.


Problem was, that Netflix would lock up within seconds or minutes, halting all playback.  Reloading the page would start the video again (not exactly where I left off - usually back a bit) but it basically rendered netflix unusable... not cool. I tried reinstalling Silverlight, and a few tweaks to the VM configuration, but to no avail... further googling indicated that perhaps DNS settings could lead to lock ups like I was seeing (though that makes no sense to me).  I set Ubuntu to use Google's dns servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and amazingly, this seems to have fixed my problems - at least for today.  I'll update here if this setup starts to fail...

3 comments:

Gerald S said...

I did it a little different, but same idea. I changed the dns in the windows environment to use google. Such a weird problem, netflix must do a lot of dns requests.

Josh said...

Cool - I've played with different setups (NAT with ubuntu using google dns or bridged with Windows using the same - couldn't tell much difference (using google's dns servers helped in all cases). Bottom line is that while this helps, it's still mind blowing that there's this much trouble with what should be a transparent web app.

I love watching amazon prime instant videos native on linux - sometimes I load up netflix in another tab and just periodically give it the finger while enjoying high quality HD on amazon ;-)

Unknown said...

I used OpenDNS http://aubreypwd.com/blog/2012/09/14/2403/